Our skin is made up of countless skin cells and, over time, these skin cells age and die. When they are left on the surface, they leave the skin looking dull and flaky. That is why it is essential to exfoliate the skin, so as to bring out the radiant skin that lies just beneath the surface. In fact, exfoliation is essential for the whole body when it comes to getting rid of dead skin cells. Many people focus their exfoliation efforts on just their faces, while it is important to ensure that all your skin is radiant and healthy.
How to Exfoliate your Skin
It is essential to pick the right timing to exfoliate the skin—and the morning is ideal. This is because overnight, your skin works actively to repair itself. The result is that in the morning, there are a significant number of dead skin cells that will appear.
Once you have the timing right, you can fix the number of times that you exfoliate in a week. There is no need to exfoliate on a daily basis. Instead, it would be ideal if you exfoliated a maximum of twice a week.
The way you exfoliate is important, as the wrong method could actually tear the skin and damage it. To begin with, choose an exfoliating scrub that does not have very large granules. Then, using a circular motion, gently rub the exfoliating scrub over your skin for up to thirty seconds. Once you have covered your entire body, rinse off the exfoliating scrub with warm water.
There are different tools that you can use to exfoliate the skin. If you are doing dry exfoliation, then you can use a brush to go over your entire body. Many people opt for a loofah or a soft bath sponge which are not fully effective. Instead, it would be better to make use of a simple washcloth.
Also, there is one part of the body that many people tend to forget when they are exfoliating and that is the hands. Ensure that you scrub your hands to remove the dead skin cells from them as well, so that they can also look smooth and supple.
Natural Ingredients for your Exfoliation
When considering how to exfoliate your skin, you may be tempted to purchase an expensive exfoliating scrub that has been made by a leading cosmetic company. There is no need to do this, as you can find plenty of items within your kitchen that will work as natural exfoliates on your skin. Considering how delicate the skin is, a natural exfoliate is recommended to ensure that there are minimal chemicals that are absorbed into the skin. Some of the ingredients that you can use include:
- Coffee grounds – These can be rubbed onto the skin directly or for additional moisturization, they can be mixed with some olive oil and then rubbed onto the skin. They are rich in antioxidants, so in addition to fighting the signs of aging, they can also help reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
- Sugar – To make an exfoliating scrub with sugar, you should mix together some sugar with coconut oil. Place a little of this mixture at a time on a washcloth and then rub over your body. Once you have every area covered, you can rinse off in the shower using warm water.
- Oatmeal – This ingredient is ideal for sensitive skin as it is less abrasive than some of the other natural ingredients. It can be mixed with some moisturizing lotion to moisturize the skin while also removing the dead skin cells.
- Baking Soda – This ingredient has proven to be highly popular when it comes it exfoliation. It has small granules which make it comfortable and easy to use and it is also very affordable. All that one has to do is mix it with a little distilled water and then gently use it to rub on the body as well as the face. If you want to add some more properties to this exfoliate, then you can mix in a little natural honey. This will help protect your skin from breakouts as well.
- Towel – It is possible to exfoliate the skin without using any ingredients from your kitchen or even any creams. Instead, take your shower for the day and pat your body dry at the end. Then take a dry towel and using circular motions, rub the skin dry. This will create some friction on the skin which will help remove basic layers of dead skin.
- Brush – Another dry method of exfoliation is using a dry brush. You need a brush that has natural bristles. Starting at your feet, brush your skin moving upwards to the top of your body. The entire process should take around five minutes. When you are done, you should cleanse your skin and then apply moisturizer to bring forth the suppleness of the new skin.
Remember that when you exfoliate your skin, you will dry it out. Therefore, always follow any exfoliation that you do with a moisturizing lotion so that you can maintain the hydration in your skin.
Why you Should Exfoliate your Skin
The first part of your beauty regime should be exfoliation so that you can free up your new skin cells. When you do this, you will find that it is much easier for your skin to absorb moisturizer, and if you want to put on foundation it will glide on with ease. Consider this, what happens when you do not exfoliate? Well, your skin will shed a layer of skin each day. This layer will start to build up on the surface of your skin, and before long, your dead skin cells will clog your pores, block hairs from growing, and prevent oils from getting to the surface of the skin. With these tips and tricks, you will discover how to exfoliate your skin as part of an excellent skin care regimen.